Monday, September 19, 2011

Labor of the Quilt Artist

The art and skill of a quilter has to be greatly admired. The time, effort and over all labor involved in the production of a quilt is intensive especially when handcrafted. It takes a genuine passion and love of the skill to produce - literally - a work of art.

One thing that cannot be forgotten is that the repetitiveness of movements can also produce strain and minor injuries. A quilter can develop fatigue in muscles leading to pain in their hands, wrists, shoulders and back and even their fingertips. Luckily, there is relief found in sewing supplies that offer protection along with use of our common sense.

Now, use of the various supplies available will require getting used to such. I know that I'm not comfortable having to use a regular thimble. My own thimble is one of the little metal sort with dimples. I have found that while doing my embroidery - threads may stick or get misaligned in the needle and create havoc trying to keep them straight and royally annoying - gasp! - if the threads become entangled and knotted altogether.

For now, I've settled on the leather thimble. Mine sits on my finger like a ring and use it on my most prickled finger. I would guess that it acts as a protective pad against punctures and needle pricking. It has taken some getting used to - like wearing a wedding or engagement ring? but at least I'm assured of no further injuries to my fingertips.

Other available tools of the trade include finger cots (look like condoms, oops!), adhesive pads, leather thimble, and gloves. I'm sure there are other options too and if you have suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment and share it. Thank you.

Fatigue of muscles and tendons also occur for the quilter. Remaining in a stationary prolonged position and repetitive motions can cause discomfort. I highly suggest taking intermittent breaks while quilting to stretch and relax your muscles. Better yet, if you have a partner, get h/im/er to give you a massage or use one of those electric massage tools.

I know how difficult it can be to 'have' to stop for a break especially when in the throes of artistic creativity but for maintaining health - do stop and take a break. Fatigue can result from exertion of muscles and tendons, need for energy, lack of calcium and/or vitamins and minerals or other health disorder such as arthritis, diabetes, etc. Pay attention and your body will let you know.

I hope you found this article informative. Please feel free to leave your comments, share your own observations and give your Vote. Send me Email if you would like to place a Order today.

No comments:

Post a Comment